Puts me in a good mood
I don’t know why, but I am SO in the holiday spirit today. It’s a beautiful day and the sun was shining in Grand Central early this morning, and everyone was buying pink cupcakes and cookies and flowers – love it. You’d think I was SO in love this year or something, but nope, I’m still SO single and apparently SO not bitter… (I’m all about saying “SO” right now). In honor of my love for love, here’s a list of my favorite couples:
1. Holly Golightly and Paul Varjak
Just a classic love story about two messed up people who finally realize they should just get it over with and be together – and kiss in the rain while holding a cat. Perfect.
2. Jack and Rose
I mean, duh
3. Sabrina and Linus Larrabee
Audrey is just so good. The daughter of the help is in love with the handsome man of the house, but he doesn’t notice her until she comes back from Paris looking super chic. But his older brother steals her from him proving that women are better people than men because we are willing to date a guy even though we are way hotter than he is.
4. Allie and Noah
5. Ariel and Prince Eric
Their love story is weird, and yes, she sacrificed her sweet tail and her family for him while he sacrificed nothing, but I still love them and want to be Ariel.
Honorable Mention: Ross and Rachel
Make fun all you want, I love Ross and Rachel together.
Happy Valentine’s Day!
“The blues are because you’re getting fat and maybe it’s been raining too long…” – Breakfast at Tiffany’s
All this rain and nastiness we’ve been having makes me just want to go home and watch “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” and hang out with my cat in my pajamas like Holly.
Holly and Cat
Or maybe this?
Holly and Paul
At least I’ll be on a sunny vacation in a couple days…
Yes, I’m single and yes, I’m aware that Valentine’s Day is next week. But I refuse to be bitter about it; I had a Valentine date for many years in a row, so it’s my turn now to face a few alone. Luckily, I never put too much importance on the day so it’s not a big deal to me. I never wanted diamonds or grand gestures on Valentine’s Day, just something fun and simple. So, since I will not be receiving a Valentine’s gift this year (except for the annual box of chocolates from my mom), I will offer some ideas for things I would have wanted and maybe help someone out who has no idea what to get.
1. Breakfast at Tiffany’s on DVD. This is one of my favorite movies and I only have it on VHS. I asked for the DVD for many years in a row and never got it! Maybe I’ll get myself a Valentine’s gift this year.
2. This backpack from Target (it’s a lot more hot pink and awesome in person). I already have it because I bought it for myself – I buy myself a lot more presents since not having a boyfriend.
- Target -
3. Vera Bradley mug. I’ve been wanting one of these for a while, but I won’t bring myself to spend money on it. My favorite mug that I have right now was a Valentine’s Day present – I guess I have a thing for mugs.
- Vera Bradley -
4. Flower wall hook. There are a lot of wall hooks at Pier 1 that I would love to have. I like the bird one too, but most girls might think that’s weird so I went with the flower.
- Pier 1 -
5. Silver jewelry bowls/plates. I have a little silver plate that I love because I toss my rings and bobby pins etc. on it. There’s no need really, to buy a $25 one at pottery barn but I like their idea of getting it monogrammed.
- Pottery Barn -
I realize that these ideas are a little out of the ordinary – I didn’t list chocolates or flowers or jewelry on here – but if your girlfriend is half as awesome as I am, she’ll probably like one of these things.
*6. If you’re trying to go for something really outside the box, this hot pink bird is pretty sweet.
- Cat, The ultimate New Yorker Cat (Breakfast at Tiffany's) -
Further further proof that New York is the best city in the country: even cats know where it’s at. Check out this story about a little cat named Willow who traveled all the way from Colorado by foot just to be a part of it. Oh I just love kitties, they so get me.
NEW YORK — A calico cat named Willow, who disappeared from a home near the Rocky Mountains five years ago, was found Wednesday on a Manhattan street and will soon be returned to a family in which two of the three kids and one of the two dogs may remember her.
How she got to New York, more than 1,600 miles away, and the kind of life she lived in the city are mysteries.
But thanks to a microchip implanted when she was a kitten, Willow will be reunited in Colorado with her owners, who had long ago given up hope. – Read the full story on HuffPost
Typewriters have obviously been a dying breed for years, but now they’re just dead.
“Godrej and Boyce – the last company left in the world that was still manufacturing typewriters – has shut down its production plant in Mumbai, India with just a few hundred machines left in stock.” – Daily Mail
As a journalist, i have a soft spot for all writing devices, so here is my ode to typewriters:
– Mashable’s story
– Everything you could ever want to know (or not want to know) about typewriters: Wikipedia
– Audrey Hepburn singing “moonriver” in Breakfast at Tiffany’s (my fav.) wouldn’t be the same without the clicking of the typewriter keys in the beginning.