Last week a couple of my ladies and I decided to use Valentine’s Day as an excuse to eat cupcakes, drink wine and watch a movie – in other words, be fat and lazy.
After going through the instant Netflix selection, one lady got super excited that “Overboard” with Goldie Hawn was on there. I had never heard of it, but she was so adamant about watching it that I figured it must be decent. If you’re ever in the mood for a good 80s movie, go with this one.
Here’s the basic plot line: Goldie Hawn, a rich spoiled brat from Manhattan, is married to the grandpa from Gilmore Girls and they are sailing their yacht along the coast of a poor trailer-trash town in Oregon (never figured that one out). Goldie hires a carpenter to build her a new closet and to her dismay, he builds it our of the wrong kind of wood so they get into a heated argument and she throws all of his tools off the boat.
Later that night, Goldie falls overboard herself and is rescued by Portuguese fisherman who thought she was a seal. The problem is she can’t remember who she is. When Mr. Gilmore realizes this, he takes it as his chance to escape his nagging wife and he leaves her at the hospital so he can have sexy 80s parties on his boat.
Meanwhile, the carpenter sees Goldie on the news and decides to teach her a lesson by tricking her into thinking she’s married to him. He takes her home to his shack with his 4 nasty sons and she tries to fit into a world of menial labor and bowling while she has unexplained dreams of caviar and puff-sleeved dresses. As you can imagine she and the carpenter eventually fall in love but she finds out he betrayed her blah blah.
Reasons to love it:
– Goldie Hawn’s array of ass-bearing one-piece bathing suits and super high side buns.
– You might forget what year the movie was made and think you’re watching Kate Hudson.
– Her first guess on what her “son’s” name could be is “Roy.”
– She refers to another “son” who likes to talk like Pee-wee Herman as a “falsetto child.”
– Cheesy 80s humor, of course.
– The aforementioned mystery of why anyone would sail their yacht off the coast of Garbage Town, Oregon.
Anyway, just watch the movie if you’re bored and don’t feel like resorting to yet another movie about two friends with ST trying not to fall in love. Instead, go for two strangers who hate each other trying to fall in love.
* Also, Reese Witherspoon claims this is her favorite movie. I knew I liked that lady.